After being in the moving business since 1983 we can predict some key facts with supreme confidence. One of those facts is that peak moving season is from April to September. I read that on average more than 40 million people move each year in the United States. We can estimate that 80% of those moves occur during peak season.
As you can expect, the demand for movers is very high during this season. In the Chicagoland area this is even more true during May, June and August. Keep in mind during these months, the weekends are even more in demand but don’t rule out the weekdays as they will fill up fast too.
With that being said, if you plan to move in that time frame there are a few things to take into consideration.
See below some of our helpful tips for moving during peak season:
- The beginning or very end of each month will fill up first and has a large demand due to ending leases and such.
- Morning time slots are the most common start time, as movers we want to be prepared for anything and arriving later in the day could pose time constraints or additional problems.
- Weekends are the most popular days for moving as more people are available.
- Schedule at least one month in advance during peak to get the best availability. Moving companies do sell out and will be booked at capacity and unable to accommodate you.
- Pack ahead of time, be ready for the movers on moving day and not still packing.
- Or schedule Mid-West Moving & Storage to pack for you. This is a time saver and will also insure your items are protected to the highest standards.
- For the best results on your peak season move, plan accordingly and plan ahead!