Moving is draining and stressful, but that’s where professional movers can help. They can take a lot of the strain off of moving boxes, furniture, and heavier items, making them a lifesaver if you are moving a lot of items. You’re also trusting them not to break or steal any of your items during the relocation process. As long as they handle everything carefully, consider giving them something a little extra for their efforts.
When it comes to tipping, many people aren’t sure if they should or how much to tip. So here are some tips for tipping your mover.
Should I Tip the Movers?
First and foremost, tipping is never required; it’s a way for customers to express their gratitude for a good job. Movers also don’t usually expect a tip, but do appreciate it if given. There is actually no average amount to tip, but generally, they can range from 5% of the total bill to $20 per person.
Keep in mind that movers are put under more pressure than most professionals. Mistakes like poor packing, scratching wood flooring, or dropping an antique can be the result of significant sales lost in order to replace the damaged items. But then again, there are less providers that offer this service compared to other professionals.
If you do decide to tip, each mover should be tipped individually, not just the manager or supervisor. While it is more expensive to do so, it shows that you appreciate each worker individually and recognize their efforts as superb. Or if you feel that one or two individuals went above and beyond their normal duties, you can even tip them a little extra.
Here are some common situations for movers going above and beyond expectations:
- Completing the move in a shorter time period.
- Carefully fitting all items into the moving truck although it looked like they wouldn’t fit.
- Moving a number of heavy items or awkwardly shaped furniture. Extra if they had to move around obstacles or up and down stairs.
- More than one flight of stairs, such as a 3rd floor apartment or higher.
Tipping Without Cash
If it turns out that the move lasted longer than you thought and you are short on cash, there are a number of ways to show your appreciation for their hard work.
- Providing cold drinks like Gatorade or bottled water on a hot day.
- Buying lunch for each mover. But instead of surprising them with lunch, ask for suggestions as they may not like what you buy.
- If there is any furniture that you are not looking to keep, offer it to one of the movers instead. This can also save you time and money from getting rid of it.
So to put it blatantly, there is no exact amount that a mover should be tipped; it just depends on how much you would like to give them as a thank you for their services.
Get a Free Estimate for Your Next Move
If you are looking for a professional mover to carefully pack and move your belongings, get a free quote with Mid-West Moving & Storage. Our full-service moving company offers an array of services that can relieve a significant amount of stress on the big day. We can provide everything from planning, packing, moving, and storing your items and furniture.
Simply let us know what you need and we’ll provide the rest! For more information on our moving services, give us a call at 847.593.7201 or fill out a contact form for a free estimate.