While America is in desperate need of drivers with a commercial driver’s license (CDL), some candidates immediately think of truck driving and become turned off by the idea. But what they are unaware of is that the opportunities of a (CDL) are far more immense than driving a semi-truck.
So if life on the road towing heavy trailers isn’t for you, you should know that that there are other options available. When it comes to commercial driving, there’s a number of vehicles you can operate as well as a variety of employers from different industries that are desperately looking for professions like yours.
The main benefit of becoming a commercial driver is that there are a number of opportunities to pursue, providing you with a greater level of diversity in your work experience.
But in this article, the advantages of becoming a commercial driver for a moving company are explained, so you can see if this would be the job for you.
Benefits of a Commercial Driver
- Competitive pay. Due to the shortage of commercial drivers, many employers are willing to pay higher salaries and rates to hire and retain their employees. Some are even willing to negotiate based off experience and flexible schedules.
- Experience in the moving industry. Compared to truck driving, the moving industry offers a whole new experience to driving. In this job, you won’t just sit by yourself in a giant truck and drive; you will have the opportunity to work with others, participate in the moving process, and operate different vehicles.
- Operate different vehicles. You will have the opportunity to learn how to operate all different kinds of equipment, not just the moving trucks, but four-wheelers, lift-gates, spider cranes, fork lifts, and more.
- Drive both locally and long distance. Unlike shipping stock from corporations to retail stores, you won’t always have to travel long distance. More often than not, you won’t be on the road during the holidays in a rush to replenish stock before Christmas Eve. But instead, you may be moving boxes and furniture across town, and you’ll be home just in time for dinner. But if the latter is what you prefer, that’s available too!
- Leadership opportunity. After building experience with the company, you will be leading the moving team and enforcing the moving processes to ensure that everything runs efficiently for the customer. This can also include calculating charges, collecting payments, and reporting any violations to the supervisor.
Requirements of a Commercial Driver
While there are a number of pros when driving for a moving company, just like any other job, there are requirements. But compared to others, they don’t require extensive schooling or education. The requirements include the following:
- Must be 18 years old
- Have a flexible schedule (willing to work early mornings, late nights, and weekends)
- Ability to follow all company policies and safety rules
- High school education or GED
- Read, write, and speak basic English
- Must pass a background check
Become a Commercial Driver for a Moving Company
If the benefits of becoming a commercial driver for a moving company interest you and you comply with the requirements listed above, you’re in luck! Mid-West Moving & Storage is actively seeking both commercial and non-commercial drivers to assist in the moving process.
Not only do we guarantee the advantages listed above, but we are a team of friendly professionals that enjoy our work. When joining our team, you will have the opportunity to build professional relationships, allowing you to build your career and grow with a prospering company.
About Mid-West Moving & Storage
Mid-West Moving & Storage is a Chicago-based equal opportunity employer, led by a driven, ethical professional, Luis Toledo. We believe that providing great customer service and employee opportunities will lead to both financial success for the company and individual success of each employee.
It is required that each employee pass an extensive background check as well as undergo on-the-job training in order to provide quality services for each customer. Our movers and drivers also follow established processes to ensure that each move is efficient while keeping the company profitable.
Become a CDL Driver Today
If you would like to become a CDL driver with Mid-West Moving & Storage, we would love to hear from you! Please apply on our careers page and we will review your application shortly.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about the hiring process, please do not hesitate to give us a call at (888) 722-6683.