Look and listen for red flags – something may not be right with the company you have chosen to move your precious belongings. The story goes something like this: Without ever visiting your home or seeing the goods you want moved, they give a low estimate over the telephone or Internet. Once your goods are on their truck, they demand more money before they will deliver or unload them. They hold your goods hostage and force you to pay more, sometimes A LOT more. You also have a very high chance of stolen and or damaged property because these companies are not experienced, certified, or trained properly.
Here are 11 common signs, or red flags, from rogue movers:
- The mover doesn’t offer or agree to an in-home visit/survey.
- No physical address or phone number online, just a “Contact Us” feature.
- No paperwork or incomplete paperwork sent for confirmation.
- The paperwork has a different company name on it, then the one you contracted with.
- You’re quoted a very low price that seems too good to be true.
- They demand cash and or a large deposit before the move.
- They tell you they will determine a price after loading your items- this may indicate they will overcharge and hold your items for ransom.
- No federal motor carrier (MC) number is shown; or if there is an MC number, it doesn’t match with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) website.
- Very little to no web presence such as website, social media, review sites, and BBB.
- When you call the company they consistently do not answer.
- Or when you call the company they answer the phone with a generic “Movers” or “Moving Company” versus a real name.
The best defense against rogue movers is to make sure you check them out thoroughly before hiring and to recognize they might not be legit before they have your personal and precious items.
Trusted Moving Company: Mid-West Moving & Storage
Mid-West Moving & Storage, located in Elk Grove Village, IL., was founded in 1983 by Luis A. Toledo. For over 34 years, we have been setting the highest standards in the moving industry are committed to continue with these priorities. Mid-West Moving & Storage is your team of trusted and friendly relocation experts. We are focused on providing a timely service that meets or exceeds your expectations. Our professional service providers pay special attention to the details, giving you the peace of mind you deserve.
Mid-West Moving & Storage is a certified ProMover, has an A+ rating with the BBB, employs uniformed and background checked movers and drivers, and holds all certifications necessary to run a professional moving and storage company for the past 34 years. Don’t hesitate to call us for any residential or commercial moving needs at 1-888-722-6683 or fill out a contact form.